Swoop® Portable MR Imaging® System
FDA-cleared, AI-powered, portable MR brain imaging for efficient clinical decisions.
- The Swoop system overcomes conventional MRI accessibility issues, bringing brain imaging within reach for clinicians to help them make clinical decisions in a variety of healthcare settings.
- The Swoop system is the only FDA-cleared portable MR brain imaging system that combines safe, ultra-low-field magnetic resonance with proprietary artificial intelligence.
- The Swoop system potentially enables timelier treatment decisions, quicker discharges, and more efficient use of staff and hospital resources while minimizing intrahospital transport-related adverse events.
Why portable MR imaging?
In 1977, the invention of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) transformed medical diagnostics, yet its benefits have not been universally realized. Today, across the United States and globally, entire communities remain without ready access to MRI, leaving significant gaps in access to the benefits of advanced imaging. Typically confined to select hospitals or only available for limited parts of the day, MRI systems are hemmed in by cement walls, specialized personnel, and substantial costs. Where available, the technology frequently demands considerable resources and often requires a prolonged wait for patients and their clinicians.
The Swoop system brings MR imaging within reach.
The Swoop system, the world’s only FDA-cleared portable MR brain imaging system capable of providing imaging at multiple points of care in a variety of professional healthcare settings, brings brain imaging within reach for clinicians. By combining safe, ultra-low-field magnetic resonance, which does not have the siting and shielding requirements of conventional MRI systems, with artificial intelligence, the Swoop system potentially enables timelier treatment decisions, quicker discharges, and more efficient use of hospital staff and resources.
With the Swoop system, patients can remain in a safe and comfortable setting, with family and caregivers by their side, which reduces the risk of adverse events due to transport. Designed to fit inside elevators and through doorways, the Swoop system can maneuver through crowded healthcare environments to a patient’s bedside at multiple points of care. The system plugs into a standard electrical outlet, can be controlled by an Apple® iPad Pro® mobile digital device and is ready to scan in minutes.
The system is ideal for brain imaging in intensive care units, pediatric facilities, and other healthcare settings. The system’s AI-powered imaging sequences include T1, T2, FLAIR, and DWI (and accompanying ADC map).
Apple and iPad Pro are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.
The Swoop System at the Point of Care
The Swoop system expands access to brain imaging and can help optimize resource utilization. Patients can remain in a safe and comfortable setting, with family and caregivers by their side, and a lower chance of adverse events due to transport. Rather than send every patient to the tightly scheduled and high-cost conventional MRI, hospitals can balance the load with the Swoop system. Timely and effective triage and treatment can shorten stays and free up hospital beds for the best use of hospital capacity and effective cost control.
The Swoop system is ideal for a wide range of use cases. Clinicians can potentially use the Swoop system to evaluate conditions as diverse as stroke (>5mm) follow-up, ventriculomegaly, intracranial mass effect, and more. Clinicians can also use the Swoop system to monitor a patient's response to therapies.
The Swoop system is FDA 510(k) cleared. The Swoop system is a portable, ultra-low field magnetic resonance imaging device for producing images that display the internal structure of the head where full diagnostic examination is not clinically practical. When interpreted by a trained physician, these images provide information that can be useful in determining a diagnosis. See the full list of regulatory clearances.
Assessment with the Swoop system is:
- FDA cleared for MR imaging of the brain and head for patients of all ages
- At the ready to deliver T1, T2, FLAIR, and DWI (with ADC map) tissue contrasts
- A breakthrough for MR imaging accessibility
Easy to use, the Swoop system enables:
- Serial imaging: Monitor patients over time
- An accelerated learning curve: System operation, navigation, and safety training are simple, which allows for expanded user access
- Portability: With powered drive wheels, the Swoop system fits through a standard door and easily moves between patients
- Location flexibility: The system does not require a shielded room and is powered using a standard electrical outlet—a Swoop system uses less than 900W during operation
- Cost-effective ownership: The Swoop system costs significantly less to acquire and maintain than a fixed conventional MRI system
- Secure image upload: To facility PACS or the HIPAA-compliant Hyperfine, Inc. Image Viewer
Swoop system service includes:
- Software upgrades
- Technical support, service, and maintenance
- Preventative maintenance
- Customer success: onsite training (during the deployment phase) and ongoing virtual training for both new and current users
- Hyperfine, Inc,. Image Viewer with unlimited image storage
Point-of-care MRI Applications
Portable MR Brain Imaging in ICUs
A Swoop system in an intensive care unit enables timely brain imaging at the point of care, eliminates the need to transport critically ill patients to radiology, and reduces the time required to coordinate clinical schedules and support staff.
Portable MR Brain Imaging in Pediatric Facilities
An open and safe design allows family members to stay close, provide comfort during brain imaging, and even hold their loved one’s hand. The Swoop system also eliminates the risk of ionizing radiation for pediatric patients—a concern with CT imaging.
Portable MR Brain Imaging and Radiology
The Swoop system is a valuable clinical tool with the potential to improve neurocritical care workflows and patient outcomes by increasing access to brain imaging and avoiding cumbersome patient transport to conventional MRI systems.
Swoop System Artificial Intelligence
Advanced Image Reconstruction—deep learning technology.
The Swoop system’s innovative approach to image reconstruction uses deep learning on T1, T2, and FLAIR sequences to elevate the diagnostic value of portable MRI.
Awards and Recognition
Best Practices Product Innovation Award from Frost & Sullivan
Fast Company Magazine World Changing Ideas honorable mention in two categories: North America and Health
Best New Radiology Device of 2022 from Aunt Minnie Europe
Best New Radiology Vendor of 2020 from Aunt Minnie
MD+DI Gold Medical Design Excellence Award in the Radiology, Imaging, and Electromechanical Devices category
2021 Innovation Awards Honoree from CES
Named by Fierce Medtech as one of 2020’s Fierce 15